Thursday, September 6, 2007

Sorry, no pics yet! But about "our" dog...

I am sorry! I know I promised pictures soon, but the one chance I had to sit and organize them and then upload them, blogger was down! I'm at the library now, so while I have GREAT speed, all the pics are at home. Just wanted to say that I've been trying!

Our service dog-in-training, Murphy, has been with us just over a week now. For those who need filling in, we are fostering a black lab who is being trained as a service dog for a girl with spina bifida (I'll call her "his Girl"). He is sooooo awesome. No one can believe he's only just 1 year old, because he's already so well behaved. At home, he lays under the kitchen table while we eat, lays at my feet while I'm sitting reading or at the computer, and generally lays around! His Girl wants him to sleep in bed with her, so each night he jumps up in the kids' beds to cuddle before he goes in his kennel for the night. (Since he's only been with us about a week it's too soon to leave him the run of the house while we're all asleep.) Twice a day I take him out back to play fetch, where I am working on his "take it" and "give it" skills. He is even learning "potty pee" and "potty poop" for me! (Pee we've gotten down, poop is taking more time.) Right now he's laying at my feet under the table at the library, quiet as a mouse. So far, I haven't had any problem taking him with me into public buildings, with one exception - my kids' school. Can you believe it? This awesomely behaved dog, who is being trained for an 11 yr old girl in a wheelchair - who will be taking him TO SCHOOL with her - is not allowed in my kids' school, because the principal "has to think of her kids [the students], and some have allergies." I have asked Wendy Nelson, the founder of WAGS 4 Kids, to write her a nice, polite letter asking her to change her mind. If not, we'll go to the superintendant, who I am relatively sure will agree to let me in. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to volunteer all my time at the school where Murphy's future owner attends, which is in a different town, and would really bum out my kids and the librarian at their school, who has already been asking when I'm coming in.

Pictures of Murphy will be up soon too!

It's almost time to pick up my kids from school now, so this is it for the time being. Hopefully pictures will be up soon!

No comments: